> Job Listings
> Job Description
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) is seeking qualified candidates for Mental Health Counselor at Southwestern State Hospital in Thomasville, Georgia
Counsel with emphasis on prevention and/or behavior modification. Works with individuals and groups to promote optimum mental health. May help individuals deal with addictions and substance abuse; family, parenting, and marital problems; suicide; stress management; problems with self-esteem; and issues associated with aging and mental and emotional health.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
· Act as client advocate in order to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations
· Collect information about clients through interviews, observation, and tests
· Counsel clients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life
· Develop and implement treatment plans based on clinical experience and knowledge
· Evaluate clients' physical or mental condition based on review of client information
· Maintain confidentiality of records relating to client's treatment
· Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan
· Prepare and maintain all required treatment records and reports
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Positive Behavior Support Team (PBST)
NOTE: Applicants should pay particular attention to the application process listed at the bottom of this posting. Failure to follow them, as directed, may prevent or delay consideration for this vacancy.
Job seekers are encouraged to apply without delay. This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.
Due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to provide information on the status of your application by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Only selected applicants will be contacted for follow up. Applicants who are not selected will not be contacted.
Bachelor's degree in related field AND Two years of related experience OR Master's degree in a related field. OR One year at the lower level or equivalent position Note: Some positions may require certification or licensure.
· Bachelor's degree in a psychology related field with 2 years of experience in mental health service delivery, recovery planning, vocational rehabilitation, or psychosocial rehabilitation.
· Classroom instruction is valued as this position would have teaching responsibilities
· Experience in spreadsheet and reports development measuring barriers in a mental health setting
· History of auditing programs for quality assurance of multiple program facets
· Experience with token economy
· Understanding of Person Centered treatment
In addition to a competitive salary ($29,399.50 - 51,405.73), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 13 on the statewide salary plan.
This position is located at Southwestern State Hospital in Thomasville, Georgia.
More than a century ago, Thomasville was celebrated as one of the most fashionable places in the world to visit. During the Victorian era, many wealthy northern socialites and pleasure seekers traveled by rail to enjoy Thomasville as their grand winter resort. Attracted to the genteel life of south Georgia, many made Thomasville their winter home and built "grand winter cottages". Although this era quickly faded in the early 1900s, more than fifty of these grand historic homes still grace Thomasville's streets.
Thomasville, in southwest Georgia and on the Florida border, is home to both the second largest Farmer’s Market in the state and three Fortune 500 companies.
Please email your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word format to: email@example.com
To ensure proper routing/handling of your credentials, copy/paste or type the following title in the subject line of your email: Mental Health Counselor If you are currently employed by DBHDD, please include "Internal Employee" in the subject line as well.
You may be subject to a Drug Screen. You may be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of Criminal History Record Information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You do have the right to challenge the contents of any Criminal History that is located, should you choose to do so.
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities provides services to ensure the health and welfare of Georgians. As an employee of DBHDD, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.