> Job Listings
> Job Description
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD), is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Houseparent at West Central Georgia Regional Hospital (please visit http://www.wcgrh.org/ for more information about the hospital).
Assists with daily living activities at the person's home, in a daytime non-residential facility or a residential facility. Observes and monitors clientÂ¿s behavior and charts observations and incidents. Provides training of basic personal and social skills, simple academics, or work skills to consumers/students in a state school, hospital, juvenile detention facility, residence, group home, workshop, or supported employment environment. May assist with meal preparation, ensuring or encouraging client group activity, providing transportation, and/or limited case management.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
- Arranges for needed medical care and provides needed services to assure that medical care is obtained
- Assists in presentation of educational group lectures related to appropriate topics
- Assists with the development of an individual service/treatment plan for each assigned consumer/student
- Cares for individuals and families during periods of incapacitation, family disruption or convalescence, providing companionship, personal care, and help in adjusting to new lifestyles
- Counsels and advises clients on behavioral problems, daily decision-making, and the resolution of minor problems
- Instructs and advises clients/residents on daily living skills in one-on-one or group instruction
- Observes and monitors client behavior
- Participates in case reviews, consulting with the team to evaluate the client's needs and plan for continuing services
- Performs housekeeping duties, such as cleaning, washing clothes and dishes, and running errands
- Plans, shops for, and prepares meals, including special diets, and assists families in planning, shopping for, and preparing nutritious meals
- Prepares and maintains records of client progress and services performed, reporting changes in client condition to manager or supervisor
- Provides transportation for clients/residents to appointments and activities
CIH - Female Home / Male Home ~ Rotating Shifts
One year experience providing social or direct care services to groups of special needs individuals in a human services setting
Associate degree in a related field
One year experience at the lower level or position equivalent
Note: Some positions may require a valid driver's license.
Preference will be given to candidates, who in addition to meeting the above qualifications also meet the following:
- Experience working in a Group Home setting
- Ability to use and interpret sign language
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which might include evenings, nights, and weekends
In addition to a competitive salary (See Statewide Salary Pay at this link: http://dbhddjobs.com/files/StatewideSalaryPlanAnnual2009.pdf), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 7 on the statewide salary plan.
This position is located at West Central Georgia Regional Hospital in Columbus, Georgia.
Columbus, Georgia is an authentic Rivertown. The gently rolling waters of the Chattahoochee have provided food, energy, employment, and recreation for the citizens of Columbus throughout the years.
Today, the river is home to the 12-mile path known as the Chattahoochee Riverwalk. The Riverwalk provides an excellent facility to bike, in-line skate, jog, or just take a leisurely stroll and enjoy the scenery. The river is also home to the Chattahoochee Princess Riverboat, an authentic 1880's era paddlewheel riverboat, and the Coca-Cola Space Science Center, the first in Georgia and one of only 32 in the United States.
Please email your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word format to: WCGRHJobs@dhr.state.ga.us
To ensure proper routing/handling of your credentials, copy/paste or type the following title in the subject line of your email: Houseparent If you are currently employed by DBHDD, please include "Internal Employee" in the subject line as well.
You may be subject to a Drug Screen. You may be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of Criminal History Record Information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You do have the right to challenge the contents of any Criminal History that is located, should you choose to do so.
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities provides services to ensure the health and welfare of Georgians. As an employee of DBHDD, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.